Sunday, November 2, 2008

City Creek Ride

I went on the most beautiful bike ride on Friday. Big G decided not to go to work on Friday, so he watched the girls while a couple of friends and I went on a bike ride...and I think I have a new favorite ride.

We drove downtown and parked the car and rode our bikes up the hill by the State Capitol. There is a canyon behind there called City Creek. It is a paved road that is only available to cars on even-numbered days. Halloween was an odd-numbered day, so we only had to share it with other bikers and some daredevil longboarders (they were riding up the canyon and riding down with helmets and video cameras at like 20mph!).

All the leaves have changed and the colors were beautiful. It was 68 degrees and overcast--a perfect Fall day.

The one and only downside to the ride was that I got a flat tire. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I needed new tires anyway. Most tires should be used for about 1000 miles. I've put at least 1300 on mine and this was my first flat! The people at the bike shop said I was a VERY lucky rider to have gone that long without a flat. It was also good practice changing a flat on my bike. My girlfriends and I are getting to be pros at changing flats between all of us. Still, we are always relieved to see men-bikers riding up to save the day (which they did on Friday). I only care to be tough when there is no one around to rescue me. All my bike knowledge goes out the window when a man is around to be knowledgeable for me. It's sad, but true. (Thank goodness I have a smart husband to fill that role most of the time!)

Done Rambling.
It was a great ride!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That is amazing about going so long without a flat. Esp. with all the thorny plants in UT. I DESPISE changing flats. I will, but, like you, have NO problem passing the buck.

Kristin said...

That is cool that they have a road like that, so nice to not have to deal witht he cars. I am glad you got a good ride in while the weather was still so nice.