Friday, October 8, 2010

A Tribute


Greg's Grandma Lunt passed away last Saturday. Her funeral will be held tomorrow. She was 90 years old, I believe.

A few years ago, on our way across the country during one of our Law School holidays, we stopped to visit with Grandma Lunt. She was alert and very keen. She got around her house very well. She prepared her own meals, and even fed us while we visited. We played Rummikub with her and she had an efficient method for everything she did (even playing games...she always tapped her tile if she drew one to signify that her turn was over and to encourage the next player to take their turn). She was a puzzle-lover. Greg's dad says she would often do a puzzle right-side-up and then turn all the pieces over to the blank side and do the puzzle again, for a challenge. I believe she loved all games. Greg's dad said she always had an amazing vocabulary, as well.

During that visit, I learned a lot about Grandma Lunt. Her given name was Clessa. She was six feet tall when she married her husband. (He only had an inch or two on her) They were blessed with three little girls early in their marriage. When the third one was still a baby, their house caught fire in the night and they only made it out with the baby. Despite this tragedy, they moved forward. They had 6 more children, all boys. Greg's dad is the 2nd-to-youngest of the children. When Greg's dad was only 4 years old, his father, Clessa's husband, died from complications with diabetes. Clessa went on to raise her 7 living children alone. Greg's dad tells us he regularly put in 8 hour days of manual labor on their farm from a very young age. He speaks of it with honor. I'm sure this positive spin on hard work can be attributed to his mother. It is an amazing woman that can run a farm and raise a daughter and 6 strong sons. They were never wealthy, as you can imagine, but they had what they needed.

Just last Thanksgiving, all the siblings were reunited for the weekend. I am so glad we were there to hear them speak of all their happy memories. Despite not having many material possessions, they were happy. That is the effect of a good mother. Grandma Lunt was there for the reunion, but her mind had deteriorated terribly since the last time we saw her. She hardly recognized any of us. We knew her time was running short in this life, so it was especially sweet to be with her.

She never remarried, but she was sealed to her husband in the temple for eternity. I am sure there was a joyous reunion on the other side with her husband and her two eldest daughters.

What a wonderfully determined woman she must have been. Once again, I feel indebted to a woman whose life has had such a huge affect on mine. Without Grandma Lunt, I wouldn't have my Greg...

...and that would just not do.

Thank you, Grandma Lunt.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I enjoyed reading that well writen tribute to Grandma. She really was an amazing woman. I feel very happy for her to be with her husband and daughters as well.

Cathy Lunt said...

Sarah, What beautiful sentiments you have shared.....well written and well felt in honoring a good woman and your grandmother Lunt. Thanks for writing it up. Love, Cathy