I have been fortunate lately to be able to take names of deceased ancestors through the temple to perform their ordinance work for them.
I have been working on finding names of these ancestors and putting together my genealogy on and off over the last several years. It has been a sweet experience.
This morning as I reached into the side pocket of my purse to decide which name I would be taking through today, I realized how connected I feel to these people. I love them so much. I shuffled through the pink cards and realized that I feel so close to each one of the women I have done work for, that I couldn't choose just one. I had to choose one, of course, but I didn't want to. They are each so dear to me.
This experience has made me realize that these names I'm taking through the temple aren't just names. They are actual people. People whose lives made it possible for me to live. People whose personalities have filtered down through the generations to me. I have part of them in me. Perhaps I act like them, or have their same stubborn nature...or maybe I inherited their sweetness or their sympathetic heart.
It has been such a sweet experience to spend time in the temple with these beloved relatives of mine. This morning it was Charlotte Ann Braswell, one of my great, great grandmothers on my dad's side. She was born in North Carolina around 1850. It was sweet to spend a couple of hours this morning with my grandmother...and although today she may have just been a name on a card, I know that her name signifies a life-lived, day-to-day, just as I am living now. I hope I can take her with me today to remind me that who I am today does matter. I am proof that her life mattered. I would not be here if not for her.
So, as I came home from the temple to my life--husband rushing past me on my way in to get to his appointments and kids needing their hair fixed and shoes on and lunch packed--I thought of Grandma Charlotte who, 150 years ago, was doing similar daily tasks. She had her everyday struggles and her life's battles. She lived. It strengthens me to know she did it...
...and so I can, too.
:)
4 comments:
tender.
this was beautiful... thank you for sharing. i've been having similar thoughts lately of feeling connected to our ancestors. it's pretty cool.
Thank you, Sarah. I loved reading this.
That was inspiring; thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment