Monday, August 24, 2009

California Dreamin'

We just got back from an awesome vacation to California. We decided to take this vacation last Sunday during church and got things ready on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday we left and drove down to Buffalo Bill's--25 miles south of Vegas. Our stay there cost a total of $16.80. I can't say I'd stay there again. hehe. We tried it, we didn't love it, thank goodness it was cheap. :) I decided the desert is full of ruffians and outlaws. We did love riding the roller coaster, swimming in the buffalo-shaped pool and shopping at the outlet stores (where I bought some new running shorts with my birthday money--thanks grandparents and parents in-law!).

We then left for Los Angeles where we visited with our good friends Matt and Heather. They let us stay at their house Thursday and Friday night and were excellent hosts. We played some raucous Rook with them and they let us swim in their _awesome_ neighborhood pool. As a triathlete, I am extremely jealous of their lap pool. Swimming in it on Friday morning with the sun rising and having all 6 lanes to myself is an unforgettably sweet memory.

Friday we left for San Diego where we enjoyed Sea World, the Beach, and the San Diego temple. Ahhh, it was beautiful. Friday was definitely my favorite day of vacation. The way Greg and I vacation would probably drive most people crazy. We don't have any definite plans. We just go with the flow and see where each day takes us. Friday was a perfect example of that and it was heaven. I loved every minute of being with Greg and the girls in the car and on the beach and at the temple. (I'm not including Sea World in this because I didn't enjoy Eva very much at Sea World) After the temple and the beach we used Greg's blackberry to navigate us to an Olive Garden where I enjoyed their salad more than ever before.

Saturday morning Greg went for a run in M&H's neighborhood and we packed up and left for Las Vegas. We took our things to the hotel (thank you, priceline.com) and then drove to the Hoover Dam (this was another one of our see where the day takes you decisions). It was AWESOME. I've gotta say I liked Hoover Dam better than Sea World. I've only ever seen it in movies before now. Pictures and movies don't do justice to the coolness that is Hoover Dam. I highly recommend going there and taking a tour.
After having a dam good time, we went to our friends Dan and Tiffney's house for a visit. It was so fun to see them and their home and visit for a few hours.

Sunday morning we slept in a little and then went to church. After church we drove to the Las Vegas Temple. It was so beautiful. I've seen pictures before, but it was way more beautiful in person. Really, it is just so special to be able to take the girls on the Temple grounds and let them feel the serenity of that place. I remember being able to feel the power of the temple when I was just a little girl. It is God's house and His Spirit is present there. We want to give our girls the opportunity to feel God's Spirit when we take them to these Temples. It was a great way to end the trip.

We made it back to Salt Lake in one tank of gas (purchased Saturday night, of course). Jill surprised us with Sandwiches and Nachos waiting in a very clean house! It was the perfect way to come home after a very enjoyable and relaxing (even with all the driving) vacation.

Pictures:
In the Splash zone:

My guy... I love you!!!


With Elmo

ahh... the San Diego Temple


the beach :)

the dam

the Las Vegas Temple




4 comments:

Cindy said...

Looks like an awesome vacation! You guys were able to see a lot of stuff in a short time (that's how my family did vacations growing up!). Yay for family togetherness!

Nicole said...

Two things:
1. I love that you planned this trip during church, because if my mind wanders, that is totally where it goes.
2. I need to go the Hoover Dam as I'm always looking to find ways to have a dam good time.

Lia said...

that looks like a ton of fun!! I hope you guyys had a GREAT time! i liked the part where you were on the dam bridge.

Cathy Lunt said...

Wonderful trip! I'm so happy you all could be together!