Thursday, July 16, 2009

And this is my first post back...?

Yeah. I haven't posted in ages and this is what I come back with:

So I'm trying to be a good wife and mother today and all hell breaks loose!

I wanted to bake bread today so when Greg got home he would have warm fresh bread to eat, but the kids were begging me to do cookies, so I thought I'd start with cookies and then finish with bread.

In the middle of making Greg's famous chocolate chip cookies, Eva (who had previously snitched several chocolate chips and was eating them, quite messily) went into the bathroom where Attalie was sitting on the toilet. Attalie then began exasperatingly yelling that "oh, gross! Eva's spitting chocolate chips out on the bathroom floor!" I rushed to the bathroom with a wet towel and began cleaning up the mess. Then Attalie (who was still perched on the porcelain throne) pointed out, quite loudly, that Eva had a chocolate mustache and beard. I breathed a sigh and told her I was doing my best to clean up Eva as fast as I could. As I began cleaning Eva's face, she resisted saying, "no, soppit (stop it) no, soppit" while using all her strength to pull away from me. She succeeded just enough to bump her noggin straight onto the very sharp corner of the bathroom counter. She grabbed her forehead and when I caught her up to look at her, I saw that she had quite the gash and was bleeding quite a bit. You would think she would learn to stop resisting when I'm helping her, but she continued to resist as I tried to apply pressure to the wound. Aaarrghh! I was growling audibly at this point!

I didn't think she would need stitches, but I called my mom for a second opinion. Her good advice was to put a butterfly bandage on Eva to close the wound and limit scarring. Of course, I didn't have any of those on hand and a trip to the pharmacy was necessary BUT Barry, my father in law, was due to arrive at the house any second. I couldn't wait with Eva continuing to bleed, so I put a note on the door for Barry, pulled the cookies out of the oven and packed the kids in the car. After our trip to the pharmacy, I got Eva all taken care of and Attalie out the door with Barry (who had arrived while we were gone).

I finally proceeded with my baking.

Then Jill got home. I was feeling the crunch because I knew my piano student would be arriving soon and I still had to bake bread. Jill momentarily took over the cookie-baking while she told me about her day at work and I began mixing the bread. It is a tedious, time-consuming task, so I had just begun the kneading in the Bosch when my student arrived. Jill finished the cookies and I began teaching piano. 10 minutes into the piano lesson, the bread kneading was done and the dough was ready to be rolled out and put in the pans to rise. I enlisted the help of my student (a 14 yr-old boy) in buttering the pans while I rolled out the dough. (bread dough waits for no one...it had to be done) Once we had the loaves rising, we continued his lesson. Oh yeah, and somewhere in there Jill was kind enough to take Eva upstairs and put her down for a much-needed nap. I finished the piano lesson and sent my student home and just barely got the loaves a-baking.

Now, my kitchen is a wreck from all the baking, but my house is quiet and I get to document this occurrence. great.

I did one thing right...Greg is arriving home from DC in half an hour and he'll walk into a house that smells of freshly-baked bread with slices for him to eat.

I don't know if he'll be able to appreciate the cost at which he is afforded such a luxury.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Seriously Sarah - that was some d e l i c i o u s bread. And now that I know the story, it'll taste even better :-)

Lia said...

what would you have done with out jiggs (jill)

i wish i could have eaten the bread. tear tear

Joanna Galbraith said...

Wow, I'm sure you weren't enjoying that while it was happening, but it made for quite an engrossing story! Greg's comment is so cute... love and miss you all!

Kelly said...

What a day! It's a good idea to document some of these kinda days, b/c one day our kids will need to know the pains, as well as the joys, they have caused us. :)

Nicole said...

You just turned me off motherhood!
You have to be a patron saint to survive all that