Greg and I went to the Jon Schmidt Christmas concert last night at Kingsbury Hall. We LOVE Jon Schmidt! Every concert I attend is better than the last-- and that's saying a lot for a piano concert*, We went to the Christmas concert at Kingsbury hall years ago before Lou was born and it has come a long way since then.
The finale of the concert was amazing. Somehow "Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella" turned into "Sing us a Song You're the Piano Man" and everyone in the concert hall was singing along. "Piano Man" is just one of those songs that moves people and everyone was singing their hearts out. And then after we all were singing along, somehow the cellist took over at the piano and Jon Schmidt was on a platform and he did a backflip while fireworks flew up on stage. WOW! I didn't think I could be more wowed.
But...
After a standing ovation, Jon Schmidt returned to the stage and offered an encore of "Silent Night" where he was accompanied by cello, drums, bass and an amazing female vocalist (Jon also sang) and eventually the entire audience was brought to sing "Silent Night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright. Round yon virgin, mother and child. Holy infant so tender and mild" along with the performers. I was moved to tears--so much that I couldn't get the words out. The Spirit in that concert hall was palpable. For that moment I forgot that there are so many in the world who don't believe in Christ and do not celebrate his miraculous birth. It felt for a moment like the world was united in our belief in Christ and all that He stands for. After that ending, the entire audience paused before we applauded. I didn't want the moment to end, and I think everyone else must have felt the same way. We all knew we wouldn't feel that same way once the concert ended.
Greg and I walked out of that concert hall moved and amazed. I can't believe that after almost 3 hours in my seat, I still didn't want it to end.
*what was once a piano concert has evolved into a production with dancers, singers, drums, synthesizer, bass, violin and acrobatics.
4 comments:
I just remembered that you asked me a queston about Jon Schmidt's piano lessons a while back and I never responded. Look for one in your email soon. I have been so loopy lately. Hopefully I will get my act back together soon.
I am so glad you guys got to go! I saw the bill-board on the freeway and thought to myself "they would love to go to that!" I love the spirit of Christmas. See you tonight!
Sarah, you want Utah to beat Alabama? That's what Lia told me. What a traitor you are!!!!!!!!!
We went to a Jon Schmidt concert at the Provo Tabernacle--only about 50 people were there. He was incredible!
Sounds like his show has come a long way!
Post a Comment