Sunday, September 14, 2008

Blessed Sabbath

What a Sunday! This is one of those days that I just need to get it all out...not because it was bad. It was a great day, in fact. I just had a lot happen that I have thoughts about.

Sunday mornings are always funny. We don't have church until 1pm, so our schedule from the rest of the week is completely off. Big-G always has meetings Sunday mornings. He is serving as the clerk at church, so he has to be part of a lot of organizational meetings. I had a meeting this morning, too. I am serving in the Young Women's organization, so we met at the YW President's house at 10. Because Big-G was still at meetings, I got to take the girls with me to that meeting. When I got home (with the girls still in their PJ's) Big-G was there making lunch and preparing to go to church. We got the girls dressed and out the door with plenty of time to spare. (Big-G actually had another short meeting right before church, so we were pretty early for our regular meetings)

The lesson topic for the Young Women today was about the infinite worth of souls. Let me just tell you what a powerful truth that is. As I had the girls read 1 Samuel 16:7 and Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 and others, the Holy Spirit was present and we all felt of the truth of those scriptures. The truth is that God is the Father of our Spirits. He loves each of us so much! To Him, we all have divine potential--the potential to be like Him someday. One of my friends who has a newborn baby came and shared her feelings with our class about the joy and opportunity of raising one of God's children. Having that mother in the room with her baby brought a wonderful feeling. We read this quote by Bruce R. McConkie, “We were born first as the spirit children of God, our Heavenly Father. We lived with him for a time. Our lives did not commence with this mortal existence. This mortal sphere is simply a change of status for the eternal spirit that had lived before in the presence of God, our Heavenly Father. Birth is a change of status. It is a new way of living." We truly are children of God! It is a wonderful truth.

After YW, I went to adult sunday school and then on to Sacrament Meeting where I performed a piano duet with one of my friends. I was reminded during our musical number that I am nothing without God. As to myself I am weak. (I made several mistakes on the piano.) I don't know if everyone noticed, but I'll just have to keep relying on the Lord to improve my talents.

I had a thought come to my mind this week. Knowing the Holy Ghost can come into our minds when we are living in such a way that He can communicate with us; I was thinking about how we came to this Earth. I know we came here to learn. I was thinking about a lot of things--about how it isn't easy to be married, it isn't easy to have children, and it isn't easy to control our appetites and our physical needs; yet these are all things God wants us to do. It was during these thoughts that the Spirit taught me that all these things are part of why we are here. We needed this life with our physical bodies and frailties. We need to learn how to communicate lovingly with our spouses--even though it seems like we came from different planets a lot of the time! We need to learn to nurture our little children and be patient as we help them grow. We need to learn to understand our physical bodies better until they can work in harmony with our spirits. All these things are what God intended for us when we came here. There wasn't one individual reason for our time on Earth. He has a multitude of lessons for us that are provided to us every day. It has changed how I am looking at things today. Every thing that happens in my day is an opportunity to learn and grow. The sooner I see that and take the opportunities as they come, the sooner God can use me as an instrument for good. That is what I want to be. I want to be a spirit daughter of His that He can look to and use to further the good that he is trying to foster on the Earth. I know that living by such truths as these brings me the most joy. God wants us to be happy and if we look to Him, He will show us the way to the greatest happiness of all.

It was a wonderful Sabbath. I still have several hours left and I'm going to spend them with my husband and sweet little children...hopefully having opportunities to learn the way God wants me to.

1 comment:

Cathy Lunt said...

Sarah, Beautiful thoughts expressed in tender ways; I agree that it is so good to grow and I agree about the purposes of our experiences. Love, Cathy