Sunday, June 8, 2008

Live By Faith and Not By Fear

I definitely need to write this down. It has been one heck-of-a week for me. So many things happened at YW's camp that came about only because Heavenly Father was directing us. I'll try to include everything...

Our theme was the title for this post. Early this year (like Jan or Feb) I felt very strongly that this should be our theme. As I began researching ideas for YW's camp, I found so many other themes that sounded cuter and had plans all ready online that I could use. So many times I doubted this theme, thinking it wasn't cool enough, but the Holy Ghost kept prompting me to stick with it and I was reminded of the earlier inspiration I had been given to make this our theme. It proved to be perfect and divinely directed.

Our camp took place in Moab, UT this year. The first day after setting up camp, we waited 'til evening to avoid the heat and hiked to the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. Every one of the girls finished the 3 mile hike. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect. I think everyone was inspired by the beauty of the natural monument. We took lots of pictures of the entire group under the arch. It was an excellent start to camp.

The next morning we hiked up Negro Bill Canyon to the 6th longest arch in the U.S. On the way, we brought breakfast and the girls were all challenged when we decided to climb into a cave to eat it. One of the other leaders and I hoisted many of the girls into the cave and one of our priesthood leaders helped other girls climb up a rock face to get into the cave. Getting all the girls down from the cave was another trick. One of the girls was so terrified to get down that she was making plans to stay there long term. Eventually she got up the courage to climb down and everyone did so safely!
This hike continued and five of the girls decided it wasn't worth it to them to finish. However, the ones who stuck it out to the end were rewarded with a beautiful view and we enjoyed it while making friendship bracelets. I thought it was a nice little treat that all the girls who finished walked out of the canyon wearing bracelets they had made on the hike.

We returned to our campsite and had lunch and settled in for a more relaxing afternoon. However, the weather changed dramatically. A storm blew in and literally flattened the two YW's tents. The leaders' tent was intact and protected from the wind. We took down the YW's tents and chaos set in. The YW were all upset. They were all sure they couldn't withstand a storm and that they needed to call home or go home or get a hotel. The other leaders and I had a little pow-wow where I decided to stay and wait out the storm. That decision was met with mixed feelings from other leaders, but the Priesthood leaders supported it and we moved forward. One proactive leader began working on dinner and others of us made plans for sleeping arrangements for the night. Without tents, we divided the girls into different cars. One of our priesthood leaders even slept on the ground under a shade shelter! The mood in the camp was very solemn. I was feeling badly that my decision to brave the storm was ruining everyone's experience. The Spirit kept reassuring me and sustaining me. Most of the other leaders were my superiors in age and experience. Why was I making all the tough decisions? That night I hit an emotional low. I was relying on the Lord for everything. I kept asking why, after all the planning and work I had put into YW's camp, would it all be ruined by a terrible storm? It rained all night. The question on everyone's mind was, "what do we do about our rafting trip tomorrow?" The girls and leaders posed the question to me one after another and I had no answer.
The next morning I got up and read my scriptures. I was led to read from Mark chapter 4 verses 36-40. The Lord gets on the ship with his disciples and a great storm arises. They go to Him and ask, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?" He responds by saying, "Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?" AHA! I was just like the disciples! I was fearful and had no faith! I was then reminded in my mind of the scripture in Ether 12:6 that reads, "...ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." This was the trial of my faith! I knew at that moment what I had only been able to hope for previously--that things would work out the way the Lord wanted. After this, when the girls asked what we would do if it was still raining on our rafting trip, I told them that I knew we would have a great time no matter what. I was relieved and worried no more.

We left for our rafting trip under ominous skies. Many of the girls had improved their attitudes despite the weather. We were all cold and wet, but the solemnity of the camp had lifted. Just as we arrived at the river to put in the rafts, the sky cleared and the sun came out and we enjoyed a beautiful trip down the Colorado river.
That night at camp we had a testimony meeting under a beautiful star-filled sky. What do you think the theme of most testimonies was? yep, most of the girls bore their testimonies about how they didn't think they could get through the storm and they were afraid, but they learned to Live by Faith and Not by Fear! Isn't it amazing how the Lord works?

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only completely true church on the Earth. I am so blessed to have a personal relationship with my Father in Heaven. He helped me through this experience. I know He is aware of each individual and He gives us opportunities to grow that are designed specifically for us. The Book of Mormon and Bible are true. Christ lives! Joseph Smith was the Lord's instrument in restoring His Gospel and Thomas S. Monson is God's Prophet on the Earth today! I have a testimony that YW's camp is a golden opportunity for the youth (and their leaders) to gain testimonies that can sustain them later in life.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I love your strength! I am so happy for you that girls camp turned out well in the end and that you stuck your ground and listen to the Holy Ghost. Between this and your 100 miles I am really impressed! It is great for me and those YW that they have somebody so strong to look up to :)

Kelly said...

Thank you, Seb, for a truly inspirational account. I felt my own spirits lift as I read about you and the yw learning to live by faith!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent example of a "Testimony Tag." Thanks for making this post. Hopefully your readers will consider making the same type of posts and you can invite them to do so! (See http://testimonytag.googlepages.com/ for more details).

Rick said...

Great story sarah! It is so cool how the Lord works.

Tiffney said...

Thank you for sharing your camp experience. I was wondering how it all went. You are such a beautiful example of faith and an amazing force for good. The YW in your ward are so lucky to have you as a leader. I feel so fortunate to call you a friend. Your testimony was a good reminder of things I already knew right when I needed to remember them, and so another prayer was answered by your willingness to do what was asked of you. Thanks, Sarah.

Cathy Lunt said...

Sarah, Just read your story this morning and it evoked tender feelings of my camp leadership experiences as well; no doubt that the Lord had His hand in your week and all your preparation. Wonderful leadership!! Way to be in tune!!! Love, Cathy