THE RACE:
We stayed the night in Provo with Greg's parents the night before the race. Thankfully, they could watch the kids while we got up e a r l y for the race.
This is what we saw as we approached the transition area. It was d a r k outside. Cool, huh?
Greg is the picture of confidence, but he assured me he was nervous.
Got some pre-sunrise shots of the lake.
The pre-race meeting. Love that smile!
Look at that triathlete.
Game face!
Our friend Kulani has done several Ironmans. He was just here to cheer this time.
Look at all these wet suits!
Love this picture.
Greg is the top-middle. It's a deep-water start, so they are all treading and waiting for the blow-horn to go off.
There they go!!
1.2 miles later... swimming back in .
Transitioning: Wetsuits are almighty difficult to get off. Greg doesn't mess around. He sat down and got the job done.
Then there's the toweling off.
And grabbing the bike.He's having fun. Love that man.
Go Greg!
While Greg was out on the bike, I went back to Greg's parents house and picked up the kids. His parents came, too. Greyson LOVED cheering on his daddy.
56 miles of biking later...
He dropped off his bike and began the run. At this point I asked him how he was feeling and he said he had tennis-ball-sized knots in both his quads. Not a good thing to ever happen to you, let alone when you're about to run a half-marathon. This was when I texted a bunch of people to pray for Greg. Even so, he was smiling and jogged away!
After his first lap, he was still smiling and running along, but when I asked him how he was doing, he said he now had knots in both calves as well.I know he was in pain going into the last 6.5 miles of running, but he put on a good face and kept moving. (note the salt accumulating on his shorts)
The kids were there for the last 4 hours of the race, and they were better than I could have ever asked. Thank goodness for the iPad! They hardly whined at all. :)
13.1 miles of running and 70.3 miles overall later...
![]() |
| The girl on the left was excited to see Greg! |
![]() |
| the girl coming in after greg ran with her hair down? what is that about? |
This picture is worth a thousand words.
My hero.
All the finish-line support. (Jeanette is behind the camera)
LOVE him.
My (half) Iron Man


































5 comments:
Wooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! I think Greg did enough exercising for all of us, so I think I'll skip my workout this morning.
Sarah, excellent photo documentation. I felt like I was practically there!
Tell Greg congrats from us! I said a little prayer as soon as I got your text. I am so impressed at what he accomplished!!
What a man!
Inspirational! Makes me both motivated and tired at the same time!
I have to say, my favorite picture has to be the close-up of Greyson. I want to kiss those little cheeks! I wish we were closer so I could!
Congratulations to the Iron Man!
Those are great -- you two are awesome. I recently listened to a forum address given by the chair of BYU's RMYL dept. It was called "Intentional Recreation and Things that Matter Most." You were one of the people I thought of as I listened to it. Thought you might enjoy it:
http://speeches.byu.edu/index.php?act=viewitem&id=2056
That's incredible! I can't believe he did that!
Post a Comment