Friday, March 25, 2011

Trip to NY

I am sitting on an airplane on its way to Detroit where I will get on another plane going to JFK. From JFK I will be taking a shuttle to Joanna's apartment in Manhattan. I have next to me my good friend Angelle. We cut it kinda close getting on our flight. The gate ladies were kinda grouchy that we were the last ones on the plane, but it all worked out. I refuse to be stressed on this trip.

Almost two days later...

I am laughing at the last line of that post! This has been a good trip so far. Joanna is an excellent host. Her apartment, which she warned me is tiny, isn't as bad as I expected. She has decorated it so cute and she is super organized, which makes the small space very comfortable. It is only 450 square feet, but the space is all used so that none is wasted. It makes me wonder how much space I really need in my house and if I could make better use of it...
We arrived Wednesday evening. On the shuttle from the airport we met some folks from Portsmouth, England and a couple of people from LA. One of them was this guy who was coming out here for an interview with Columbia records, so he gave us all a copy of his album and autographed them. Haha!! I hope he makes it really big!! Then, after we arrived, we ate dinner at the Shake Shak--so yummy. Then, in the pouring rain, we made a trek to Times Square to look around. Bad weather doesn't stop people from getting out around here! I need to learn a lesson from that.

Yesterday(Thursday), we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the MET). It was seriously amazing. It was like all the Smithsonian art museums rolled into one, but still more. We didn't get to even look at a ton of it, but we saw a lot that I really liked! After the MET, we spent the next few hours trying to figure out what broadway show we wanted to go to. Our choices were somewhat limited, based on availability and price, but we eventually chose Wicked for Saturday afternoon. They only had two tickets left, and they weren't sitting next to each other, so we were just lucky to get them.

Oh, I forgot that we had lunch at Papaya King after the MET. It was featured on the Food network. Very yummy hot dogs. :)

We browsed around midtown for awhile and made our way to the Rockefeller Center and went up to the top, which had the most amazing views of Manhattan! It is better than the Empire State Building in that respect. Then we saw St Patrick's Cathedral...so, so magnificent. Finally, we started on our way to dinner, but I was distracted by an H&M store!!! I can't pass up a chance to go in one of those, since we don't have one in Salt Lake. After some very satisfying shopping, we ate at Carnegie Deli (also featured on the food network). I think everyone should go there. It was awesome. They make sandwiches that are 10 inches high! And they are delicious! Also, the best cheesecake I have ever eaten. I'm afraid my mom's cheesecake is now a close 2nd. :)

That is my trip so far. Today should be a good day. We have tickets to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island! Wish me luck!






Location:Manhattan, NY

1 comment:

Greg said...

Super jealous my love - glad you're having a good time. Hope you danced it up tonight!