Friday we toured Liberty and Ellis Islands. Both are so amazing. I was feeling very patriotic. That took the better part of the day. By the time we got home I had just enough time to spruce up a bit, have a short rest and hop back on the subway and head back to the southern tip of Manhattan (where I had been all day for the tours) to get on the Staten Island ferry to meet my Uncle Pat to go dancing. My friend Angelle went and did some other sigh-seeing that evening. Uncle Pat is a pretty serious ballroom dancer, so I knew going in that I would be in over my head. It was so fun, though! I am not very good at ballroom, but I kept up alright. I only sat out a couple of dances. I also got to dance with Andrei Gavriline. He and his wife are three-time U.S. National Champions for Professional Latin Dance. They also placed fourth in the World Ballroom Dance Competition. They are part owners of the studio, and have retired from competition and I had to really pry to get that much information about him. He was very very humble. But he was such a good dance partner that I couldn't mess up while he was leading. The entire dance experience was really fun. I had a really good time visiting with Uncle Pat. He has gotten so good at dancing and he coached me through tons of dances I had never done.
Saturday, we both needed to sleep. We didn't really get up until it was time to go to Wicked. On the way there, Joanna and Johnny took us to this Belgian Waffle food cart that was set up in front of the Guggenheim. They were super yummy! We were running short on time, so I decided to try my hand at hailing a cab to make it to the show on time. I was successful! He got us to the theater in plenty of time.
Wicked was as good as all the hype! I wish I could see it again tomorrow.:-)
Saturday night was beautiful. We rode the subway down to Brooklyn bridge and walked across. It is so cool! We ate pizza at Grimaldi's Pizzaria. Best pizza ever! (I swear NYC has the best of so many things!) we got home and went to bed.
This morning we went to church. Their church building is 5 stories high, with the chapel on the first floor, primary on floors 2 and 3, Sunday School and Priesthood and Relief Society classes are on floors 4 and 5. Otherwise, everything about it is exactly like church everywhere else I've ever been. I love that about visiting other wards in the Church throughout the world. The doctrine doesn't change no matter where you are. It always reinforces to me that it is truly God's church. My Faith is always increased by it.
After church we took a walk through Central Park. Central Park is one of the best things about NYC. "It makes Manhattan live-able," I've heard New Yorkers say before. It was as lovely and surprisingly serene as I remembered. While there I got dragged into a street performers show. They grabbed 4 of us from the audience to be jumped over. It was a pretty entertaining show, and kinda a fun little NY experience to become part of the show. Haha! We passed a Greek parade on the streets on our way back. Joanna made delicious pulled-pork sandwiches for dinner. I have taken the rest of the day to rest and prepare for the day of travel tomorrow. Angelle is out doing some additional sight-seeing tonight. Joanna and Johnny went to a little birthday party for a friend, so i have just their little cat to keep me company.
I can't wait to be with Greg and the girls. I have missed them terribly.
Pictures of the trip will be coming soon!
2 comments:
so when are you actually going to post pictures from your trip? you know that's what everyone's waiting for :)
haha! i know! I am so slow... I will do it soon.
Post a Comment