This was a last-minute opportunity. One of the mom's from Attalie's class at school had a Ragnar Relay team and someone dropped out. She offered me the spot on the team for $10 and, after approving it with Greg, I jumped at the chance!
I was runner #3 of 12. (that was the only spot available) My first run was 5.6 miles and climbed about 200 feet over that distance--not too bad. I ran it at around 8:30am on Friday.
Once our half of the team had all completed our first runs, we relaxed at Snow Basin ski resort for a few hours, had a scrumptious lunch, and received free, rejuvenating massages before we had to get on the road again.
At 6:30pm or so, it was my turn to run again. This leg was 4.9 miles with very little elevation change. As it got later that night, we all became a little delirious and were laughing at everything!
During the night we found a high school that was letting people sleep on the floor and we grabbed 3 or 4 hours of shut-eye while the other half of our team ran their legs.
We were up and on the road by 4am and at 6am on Saturday, it was time for my final leg--7.9 miles. This was the most intense run, yet. At all points I was either running steep downhill or steep uphill. My goal was just to keep running without stopping, and I made it! My legs were very happy to be done and promptly tightened up for the remainder of the day resulting in 48 hours of soreness. :)
I had never met my teammates prior to this event, but we had such a fun time together! Pictured below are Shannon, me(and the girls), Steve, Tom and Marilyn (KC, not pictured). We cheered each other on as each of us tackled our respective legs of the 188mile Relay from Logan to Park City.
Our team finished 445th or something overall, which is in the upper-half of the over-1000 teams who participated. Pretty good for a bunch of first-timers!
My car ended up being the support vehicle for our half of the team.
3 comments:
Glad you had a great time! You had some tuff runs!
That is awesome!! Your adventurous spirit is so inspiring and I loved your play-by-play of each leg of the race. What a trip! Also, I appreciated hearing such an experienced runner/athlete as you saying that for the steep hills, your goal was to just keep running -- way to go!! That mileage is quite impressive -- relay or not!!
I always wanted to do the Wasatch Back was far too scared! I am seriously impressed. You are pretty much unstopable!
Well done!!!
Post a Comment