Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful


With the holidays approaching I can't help getting sentimental and getting teary-eyed a lot. With Thanksgiving tomorrow, my sentimentality bubbles over and I have to write some of what I'm thankful for...(warning, the list is long)
  • My husband and how amazing he always is to me. He is an excellent provider, keeps me grounded, is a fun dad, he loves me and spoils me--definitely the best husband ever!
  • My daughter, Loulou, and her super-intelligence (emotional intelligence, academic intelligence, and spiritual intelligence) and sweet little heart.
  • My daughter, Beevers, and her babyish ways. She makes us laugh daily and makes me want to pull my hair out, too! She helps me learn patience and helps me remember to enjoy all those little moments.
  • Mom. She raised 7 daughters (and one son, but I'm convinced girls are more psychologically challenging to raise than boys). She is absolutely amazing. She is still raising my three youngest sisters and has 8 grandkids! ...like I said, amazing!
  • Dad. He always has a catch-phrase to help you overcome any challenge. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" and "winners say 'thank you'" and "nobody can 'make' you mad. you choose how you feel" and "you can do anything for __ minutes (spoken immediately prior to any race I ran in high school)" are just a few of the phrases that still pop in my head courtesy of Dad. I also love his strong opinions.
  • My siblings. Mel is such a great leader and a great older sister--perfect for our family. I appreciate her the most now that we're adults and great friends! Kelbs has always been such a fair older sis--she invited me to all her cool parties in HS and let me hang out with her friends. I value our relationship so much. Rico is such a fun brother. I can't imagine any other brother because he's my only one, but I always loved having him around to do cool boy stuff with. Together he and I pushed the limits on the number of ghostmen you can have in a one-on-one kickball game and we are still great friends (even though he think he is smarter than me, now--and he's probably right about that). Jobes is such a beauty and the perfect friend to take on a shopping trip. She's the first sibling I've watched grow up completely remembering the day she was born and the day she was married with perfect clarity and I love the person she has become. Bilbo is always so happy. Her candid perspective on life is always so refreshing and witty. I don't know what we would do without her humor and laughability. Hans is so good at knowing what she likes. She is a natural cook and baker and seems to see the world in black and white--no grays. Leebs is just so sweet and loving. Her ambition in life knows no bounds and I'm sure she will go far in life.
  • My other family. I could go on and on here. I love all my extended family. I love my in-laws--I've learned so much from you and continue to learn more all the time! I love my pseudo-grandparents, Aunt D and Uncle W. You are all so dear to my heart.
  • My friends. There are too many to count and all so valuable to me. I have my workout friends--who inevitably know my innermost thoughts and have to hear me vent about my shallowest frustrations. I have my church friends, my mom friends and my long-distance friends. I love all of you and am so thankful for all your examples to me. What would I do without all my friends?!
  • My Heavenly Father. I feel so incredibly blessed that I know He is my Father and that He loves me. I know He gives me all that I have to be thankful for--without Him there would be no list!
  • My Savior Jesus Christ. Without Him, what hope would I have? I am eternally indebted and eternally grateful.
  • All my possessions that make life nice--especially my road bike.
  • My healthy body that allows me to do all the things I love.
  • ....and more and more and more
This list could go on forever. I have so many things I feel so thankful for today. I love my life. It isn't perfect and I am an incredibly flawed person, but I am so happy in it. I am happy with what I have been given and I really feel like I could not ask for more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmn-mmmnhn! GOOD post, lady. You're such an incredible person--I'm so thankful we had our time together growing up and thankful, too, that we've been able to reconnect!

Something I've never forgotten about your family ...whenever we got in the car to go anywhere, there was always a prayer offered - a request for the blessing of safe travel and thanksgiving for the trip and each other. Even if it was just to the store. That was a practice I was unfamiliar with, but it has stayed with me all these years! Have a wonderful day, and happy thanksgiving!! (I get weepy/emotional upon these reflective times, also)

Kelly said...

Thanks for the post, Seb. You really described our siblings perfectly. I love our family so much. I wish we lived closer.

Lia said...

Thanks for such a happy post! It brightened my day! You are such a nice sister! I am thankful for you! I love you sebs!