Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Trip to Boston

 I feel very spoiled. I've always wanted to travel, but never dreamed I'd have a year where I got to visit New York, Paris, London and Boston all in the same year!
This trip just kinda fell in our laps. Greg had to take a business trip to Boston and my sister Joanna had just moved there, so Greg used some skymiles to buy me a ticket so I could tag along and have some fun!

After Greg's meetings on Friday, he and I took a boat tour around Boston Harbor. We stopped off by the U.S.S Constitution (it's the big pirate ship) and walked around, then took a ferry back.
 
 The view of the Boston skyline from the Harbor. Look at all the sailboats!





 This eclair was made for me. It tastes delicious and is huge. I could have easily eaten the entire thing myself, but lucky for Greg, I shared. Mike's Pastry will be featured later. We visited it more than once. :)
 The famous Old North Church (above) where they hung the lanterns for Paul Revere. One if by land, two if by sea.
 I love this building that is centuries old in the middle of all these huge modern skyscrapers. Meetings for the American Revolution were held here.
 Yep. THE Paul Revere. Attalie asked me what happened to his horse. That horse did all the running that night and they didn't even put a gravestone up for it. I'm with her. What about the horse? Animals get no credit.
 Oh, you know. Just a regular old everyday quidditch match in the park.
 Please note the brooms. They never let go of their brooms, or they'll go plummeting to the ground. That's what's so tricky about quidditch.

 The Hay Market is right near Joanna and Johnny's house. I want a hay market near my house! Amazing deals on produce and it runs year round.

 Mike's Pastry on a Saturday night. It was worth the wait in line (although the wait wasn't too bad, even with these crowds).
 Yes it's that good. The crowds spill out onto the street.
 We saw people all over Boston carrying these prized boxes tied in string. There is only one Mike's Pastry in the world and it is a 2 minute walk from Joanna's apartment.
 I'm drooling.
 Joanna's door (#20) on her quaint street in the North End of Boston. The North End is full of old Italian families and over 100 Italian restaurants (in only 1 square mile) It always smelled like amazing italian food.
 Greg went home a couple of days before me, so Joanna and I got to spend a day together! We went to the oldest restaurant in the United States.
 Best clam chowder I've ever had. :) And perfectly fresh fish. Yum! The picture in our booth said this was where early American women would meet and support their husbands in building the nation.
 Then we climbed to the top of Bunker Hill monument. I think I learned this before at some point, but did you know the Battle of Bunker Hill took place on Breed's Hill? Yep. And we lost that battle? But it gave us some kind of strategic advantage against the British, so we remember it fondly.
The monument has 196 steps. I was huffing and puffing all the way to the top and my legs were sore the next day. I was glad that Joanna's were sore, too. :)
 Me and my cute little sis.

 Can't take credit for either of these pictures. I used Joanna's camera for the one above and she took the one below. I love the one of Joanna and Johnny. It was taken in the Boston Gardens which is just a public park, but it is so beautiful. Also, they were perfect hosts for us on this trip!
This is just a fun picture Joanna took. I love how cool Greg looks standing there. He didn't even know he was being photographed.

3 comments:

Jill said...

sarah!! this trip looks oh so fun! so, were you and joanna supporting your husbands build the nation as you ate at the oldest restaurant in boston??? how nice of you. haha

Cathy Lunt said...

Way to go ye-olde-little-travellin'-chickidees! Really cute pictures! I agree with you, that husband of yours is way cute! Love that tummy showing! love, Mom/Cathy

Lia said...

that looks like sooo much! Next time you go, i will come along.