Saturday, July 16, 2011

Marathon Training

Is kicking my buttowsky.

Two weeks ago I did a 12 miler as my long run.

Last week I did 16 and had no idea how I would ever run further.

Yesterday I did 18 and hit a wall at mile 12, and again at miles 13, 14, 14.5, 15, 15.1, 15.3, 15.8...(and you get the picture) until I had finally run 18 miles. The last 3 miles were much longer and harder than the first 9. Conveniently, the Jordan River Temple is exactly 9 miles from out house, so I ran to the temple and back. :)

After my long runs I sit in an ice bath until my legs lose all feeling. It is better that way.

Training is going well otherwise. Next week I will be doing my first 20 miler. I'm trying not to think about it.

Story from yesterday's run: While waiting for a walk signal, two unsavory-looking males walked up to my same corner. There was traffic all around so I felt relatively safe. At least if they tried anything there would be lots of witnesses. (Picture greasy locks, unkempt facial hair, both carrying brown bags containing I'm sure the alcoholic beverage they deemed appropriate for 10am and both smoking) One of them turned to the other and said loudly, "Hey, look, she has water bottle holsters!" I thought, oh great. He's on drugs. Then he said, "Haha! Fastest bottles in the West!" I thought, he is definitely on drugs. And why isn't this light changing?!!! At least 30 long seconds passed before I got the walk signal. I ran away fast.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Fastest Bottles in the west!!!!

Kelly said...

Sarah, you are a-movin' and a groovin' on this marathon training! What a woman!! I am seriously impressed at how quickly you have added on major miles.

Joanna Galbraith said...

Hahahahahahahahahhaha. OH MY GOODNESS!!!

When I talked to you yesterday, had you already done this 18-miler? I am so impressed with your dedication. If you need something to keep you company on your runs, I can dropbox you the Harry Potter audio books. They're very fun to listen to while running.

Melyssa said...

That is my favorite quote of the year.