Monday, September 27, 2010

Out with the old and in with the new

We threw away our old vacuum today. Greg put it straight into the dumpster and rolled it out to the curb.

Last Thursday, Melyssa was cleaning my house (this is our trade on Thursdays, she cleans while I teach piano to her kids...it is an excellent trade!) and my vacuum was not working. She did all she could to repair it and unclog it, but it had finally died it's final death. (To clarify, it had played possum many times, only to re-awaken a few hours later). Alas it had sucked for the last time.

We'd had that vacuum for 9 years. It was one of our first major purchases after getting married*.

We paid a significant sum of money for a new vacuum tonight (no, Dave Page, it wasn't a Dyson)...and I never would have imagined how excited I would have been to a) spend that much on a vacuum and b) hurry home and vacuum all my floors as quickly as possible with a huge grin spread across my fully-adult face.

Finding great pleasure in the purchase of a vacuum must not be possible until you have reached a certain level of boring adulthood....and I am _so_ there.

*The death of the vacuum is in no way symbolic of any death in our marital relationship. :)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I know how you feel! I felt the same excitement while buying a new iron! Maybe that's a good thing that we get excited about new items to make our work easier!

Kelly said...

First off, I relate to this post fully. Ours died several months ago and I was SO excited to get a new one and use it.
That said, the BEST part of this post is the asterisk and comment attached. I almost LOLed, but Finley was sleeping.