Up until Wednesday afternoon at about 3:30pm, I had 20/400 vision. At 7:45am, Thursday morning, my vision was checked at better than 20/20.
Greg has been pushing me to get Lasik surgery on my eyes for years, literally. Finally, a few weeks ago he brought me the phone and a phone number and said for me to call and make an appointment.
The rest is history.
The procedure itself is far less torturous than getting a filling in a tooth.
A quick recap from the 2 hour appointment:
-eye drops and Valium
-waited for doctor and then he reviewed my chart with me
-shoes removed and cap and booties applied
-eye numbing drops and other drops
-taken in for intralase (procedure to make flap in cornea)
-intralase took less than 5 minutes
-taken to massage chair for 20 minutes while post-op is explained
-given more eye drops and dots are drawn on eyes for astigmatism
-taken in for lasik-takes less than 5 minutes
-come out seeing well, but foggy and feeling great!
The worst part of the procedure was about 2 hours after when it felt like I had something in my eyes constantly and I couldn't rub them. But that only lasted for the evening and I was perfect the next morning.
I don't have any regrets. This was absolutely miraculous! I would do it again one hundred times over.
7 comments:
Wow! I'm happy for you -- thanks for sharing your experience! It's nice to know the ins and outs of a procedure like that. Hm...the way my distance vision is deteriorating, I may vaguely see a fuzzy blob of lasik surgery for myself in the future.
I will have Eric read this. Can you go into any details on the flap in the cornea part? The thought of that might wig him out. :)
Oh, and WOOHOO! You can see!!
Kelbs,
The corneal flap is made with a laser by producing a layer of bubbles under the skin (on your eyeball). It is made, but you can't feel it, and then when you go in for the Lasik, the doctor pulls it back briefly to shine the laser in your eye (for only 10 seconds per eye) and then replaces it, smooths it over and there is no pain whatsoever. I could see the doctor coming at my eye with an instrument to move the flap back, but because it didn't hurt or even make me blink, it was of no concern. The numbing drops really work, and I'm sure the Valium helps with the no concern part, too.
Lucky! I would do anything for Lasik. I'm very jealous.
Wow, what's it like to wake up in the morning and be able to SEE? My mom had this surgery recently; she, and all others I have talked to about this, highly recommend it. Someday!
congrats! isn't it the best? do you just look around sometimes in amazement that you can see everything and aren't wearing your contacts?
i got mine done a few years ago - best thing ever :)
Post a Comment