Thursday, October 9, 2008

Fat Genes

I love to exercise. I exercise until my muscles hurt and then I take those same sore muscles out to beat them up again the next day. I love every minute of it. I sign up for triathlons 'til the budget is about to burst. The thought of slowing down is one I don't even want to entertain. This love of exercise brings me to my problem.

I am aware that my body type doesn't fit the profile of someone who exercises as much as I do...and I'm perfectly okay with that. I have genes that allow me to maintain my curvy backside despite exercise. Last night Big G told me he was telling someone about my workouts and that person's response was, "Sal must not have any fat anywhere on her body." Now, this person knows better. He has seen me in a bathing suit where all my glory is revealed. My body has plenty of the squishy stuff from torso to toe. No matter how much I exercise (this thing I absolutely love to do) my body remains my body and my genes remain my genes. I don't eat excessively. I would say I eat healthful meals and snacks, mostly. Despite my lifestyle, my body remains dimpled in certain places where the fat has decided to make itself at home and put down adipose roots.

Let's contrast this with someone who has different genes than me...hmm...Big-G! A perfect example in my very own family! My sweet husband is training for his first triathlon. In just 4 short weeks of training (contrasted with my 1+years), his abs have become chiseled into 8 perfect little squares. His forearms resemble an anatomy chart. The muscle striations in his shoulders, biceps, triceps, gastrocnemius, and quadraceps are obvious with the slightest movement. Now, keep focused on my point (stop drooling over my hot husband, if you can). Big-G doesn't have an adipose colony anywhere on his body, obviously. Great for him and all others like him! Those types can show up in underwear ads and runways in New York and I'll applaud them. I enjoy looking at a chiseled body as much as anyone else out there.

The problem arises when those whose bodies are lacking the softer tendencies look at those of us with adipose-a-plenty and make assumptions about our lifestyles. There are levels at which assumptions can be made--somewhere around 500 lbs-- we can start making some pretty solid(?) assumptions. But there are levels far below that, where we all (myself included) need to remember that we are all different--fat genes included. I don't exercise to fit into a mold. The parts no one can see--my heart, lungs and positive outlook on life--are why I exercise. I love it for that.

So, don't be disappointed when you see me in a bathing suit and see that I don't look like that girl on the cover of Triathlete Magazine. And don't be surprised if I am just as confident in a swimsuit as if I had her body. I am perfectly happy with my body--dimpled fat and all. I love all it can do.

Now, don't get me wrong...I am normal and I have days where I consider surgery to change how much (or how little) fat I have in different parts of my body, but on those days I try to steer my focus back to how strong I feel while climbing a hill on my bike, or while running intervals, or finishing a mile in the pool. Those thoughts remind me that my body is a gift and I should be grateful for it as it is, and I should make the most with what I've got.

I can love my curvy booty, and others can love their curvy tops or round middles and we can all be grateful that we have bodies that can move and feel and live every day unhindered. No more judging each other.

Love your body!

4 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

Haha. Amen. But don't sell yourself short. Being without fat is not the most attractive feature on women. Last time I checked you were looking pretty dang good.

Kelly said...

Though we Flemings have more of the "love to eat" genes than some,thankfully we have the "love to workout" philosophy bred into our fibers to help balance us out a bit.

And ditto on Jobee's comment. Though rock-hard, sculpted bodies are amazing, it's nice to know that with our good genes, we'll always have our femininity!

Anonymous said...

My mum told me this summer (after a certain, "fat" debate) that you were looking really good. And I would have to agree with her! Your hard work is definately paying off, and your looking really hot! ... very jealous

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you're an inspiration!! well-said!